How many eagle rays do you count?
As of August 2017, Ocean Dimensions are now diving & snorkelling in the Unesco Biosphere Reserve in the Baa Atoll at Kihaa Maldives – the closest resort to Hanifaru Bay. We hope to see you there!
Did you know that eagle rays:
– can reach a 3m wingspan – more commonly up to 1,5m
– their tails can grow up to 5m long
– like humans they are pregnant for 12 months,
– mums give birth to 2 – 6 pups and they will have a wingspan of 17 – 36 cm
– they decent to the sandy bottom to feed on mollusks and crustaceans
– they can breach the water up to several metres above the surface
– like in this photo they often swim together in big schools
Currently we have a small family of 5 eagle rays that live on our house reef. Many snorkelers along the reef have encountered the family and have taken photos and videos of them. As we very often dive the house reef with our beginner divers they are also the lucky ones to see the little group. The photo of this school was taken with a Canon camera during one of our channel crossing dive at Maava.
What was your favourite underwater encounter?